Creating Long-Term Value Thru Relentless Innovation
ATI is a global manufacturer of technically advanced specialty materials and complex components. Our products support diverse markets and industries such as aerospace and defense, oil & gas, electrical energy, medical, automotive, and other industrial markets.
We are currently hiring a Senior Process Engineer II in the Remelt department of ATI’s Speciality Materials business unit. This position will be based in Monroe, NC.
As Senior Process Engineer within ATI's Specialty Materials business unit you will be responsible for technical expertise in various process within the Remelt department, act as a technical subject mater expert across the organization (commercial, maintenance, operations), review, write, and document process, and lead technical customer related R&D activities.
In order to become successful, you must quickly learn ATI, our customers, products, processes, and procedures. This position initially will take a ‘hands-on' approach to production and remelting procedures to gain a high level of knowledge of these processes. A strong continuous improvement mindset, the ability to work independently, and a strong teamwork mindset are crucial for this role.
* Internal/external technical contact for various processes including electroslag remelting (ESR) and vacuum arc remelting (VAR). Provide support for conditioning and preparatory operations.
* Develop and maintain technical expertise in remelting processes of Ni/Co-base superalloys and specialty steels through experimentation, technical literature review, best practice exchanges across the company and attending technical conferences.
* Maintenance and standardization of operating instructions, mill instructions, and related equipment recipes.
* Establish, monitor, and maintain statistical process control (SPC) limits for key products and processes within the remelt department.
* Provide technical support in resolving process-related non-conformances and customer complaints.
* Lead or participate in customer audits of ATI manufacturing facilities and supplier facilities.
* Develop an understanding of melting/remelting equipment capabilities and applications as well as evaluate impact of melt parameter changes/process improvements.
* Develop an understanding of various alloys and their specific melt related characteristics and behaviors.
* Collaborate with Operations and Maintenance personnel to develop improvements to manufacturing processes and standards that enhance safety in the workplace, equipment performance, and product quality.
* Plan, execute and manage product/process continuous improvement programs that support several value streams using Plan-Do-Check-Act approach. Utilize statistical data analysis, process modeling, and sub/full-scale trials to support initiatives.
* Lead or participate in team-based continuous improvement activities including risk assessments (RAA), problem solving reports (PSR), process audits, and standard work.
* Timely communication of results to management, operations, colleagues, and customers in the form of written reports and oral presentations.
* Support internal/external customers by analyzing process data, chemistry data, and non-destructive testing data.
* Coordinate with Product Engineering and R&D in the development, evaluation, and standardization of new products and processes.
* Direct product line responsibility as opportunities arise including ingot finished goods.
* A PhD in Metallurgical Engineering or Materials Science (Metals Focus) OR;
* A Master's degree in those fields with 2 years of relevant experience in the production of Aerospace nickel-based alloys, steel, or aluminum OR;
* A Bachelor's degree with 4years of relevant experience in the production of Aerospace nickel-based alloys, steel, or aluminum
* Process or product engineering experience or higher education related to Ni/Co-base superalloys and/or specialty steels.
* Working knowledge of cast-wrought processing (i.e., conventional primary melting, secondary remelting, press forging, radial forging, hot rolling, conditioning, heat treatment, etc.)
* Six Sigma or related certification preferred.
* Statistical data analysis experience using JMP, Mini-Tab, or related software.
* Experience with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Power Point).
* Strong technical background with a focus on metals, processing, and structure/property relationships.
* Technical writing/oral presentation skills.
* Good interpersonal communication skills at all levels.
* Ability to communicate complex technical concepts and requirements to non-technical personnel in a clear, concise manner.
* Self-starter and ability to work independently as well as on a team.
* Uses scientifically rigorous, data driven approach to problem solving.
* Ability to manage multiple tasks under pressure while maintaining composure and meeting established deadlines.
*It is ATI's policy to not provide immigration sponsorship for any of the company's positions.
ATI and its subsidiary companies will provide equal employment opportunities to all applicants without regard to applicant's race, color, religion, sex, gender, genetic information, national origin, age, veteran status, disability status, or any other status protected be federal or state law. The company will provide reasonable accommodations to allow an applicant to participate in the hiring process if so requested.
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Protected Veterans/Disabled